Intra – Inside
Cytoplasmic – Cytoplasm (fluid) in the cell.
Sperm – Male gamete – sperm
Injection – Injection (Artificial introduction)
Technique of injection of one sperm in to the cytoplasm of one oocyte for fertilization of one oocyte is called Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection - ICSI.
- Only one sperm is required to fertilize one egg not millions!
- Fertilization is practically done
- Useful when sperm count is less
- Useful when sperm motility is less
- Very poor motility
- 100 % non motile sperm (zero motility)
- Sperm with possibility of low fertilizing capacity can be used with similar success
- More number of abnormal form sperm - Teratospermia.
- Cryopreserved sperm
- Azoospermia patients (Zero sperm count - Nil report)
- Sperm taken from epidydimis.
- Sperm taken from Testis.
- Difficult to get sperm situations
- Retrograde ejeculation etc.
ICSI offer better fertilization rate, and hence better pregnancy rate than conventional IVF.
“ ALL IVF CYCLES AT BAVISHI FERTILITY INSTITUTE ARE ICSI CYCLES”.
Procedure: - Technique
IVF is done in usual manner.
Oocyte retrieval (egg recovery) is done in usual manner.
The oocytes are prepared for fertilization.
Once the oocytes are ready for fertilization, one single sperm is selected which appears best form the available lot of sperm. Sperm selection is done with great skill depending on the shape, size, motility etc.The selected sperm is made nonmotile. The sperm is then picked up in a fine tube (pipette) and taken to oocyte (egg) to be fertilized.
The sperm is then injected in the cytoplasm of the egg with micromanipulation technique with precision in microns.
Once the injection is complete rest of the IVF procedures and patient treatment is the same.
First ICSI baby of the world was born in 1992.
First ICSI baby by ICSI at Bavishi fertility Institute was born in 1999.
Hundreds of healthy babies are born with ICSI at Bavishi Fertility Institute till now.
ICSI requires special preparation of oocytes and sperm.
ICSI is a very fine technique, which requires very sophisticated equipment, highest quality disposable tools, special oocyte and sperm processing fluids culture media etc.
ICSI requires knowledge, skill, patience, precision, expertise and experience of the embryology team.
BAVISHI FERTILITY INSTITUTE OFFERS YOU ALL OF ABOVE “The very best”.
WITH ICSI ONLY ONE SPERM CAN PRODUCE ONE CHILD